Our Lady Of Perpetual Help Parish
An Evangelizing Community in the Roman Catholic Rite

Home From The Pastor's Desk St. Mary's Church St. Joachim's Church

Who We Are
 
Parish Staff
 
Schedule
-Mass
-Confession
 
Parish Services
-Becoming Catholic
-Baptisms
-Weddings
 
Parish Life
-Weekly Bulletin
 
Contact Us
 




A Parish Of The Diocese Of Scranton





-------------------------------------------------------

Pope Francis
Viva il Papa! Pope Francis

God Bless our pope! The first pope of South America, the first Jesuit pope and our 266th pope.

-------------------------------------------------------


Wounded and Loved, Regathering the Scattered
A Pastoral Vision for the Diocese of Scranton
Most Reverend Joseph C. Bambera, D.D., J.C.L.,
Bishop of Scranton


-------------------------------------------------------

A Brief History of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish:

Centrally located in the Endless Mountains Region of Pennsylvania, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish is a vibrant and evangelizing community with a host of active ministries both for the parish and the surrounding communities. Parishioners enjoy good liturgies and fellowship in a welcoming atmosphere. Following the Diocese of Scranton's re-structuring and re-configuration plan "Called to Holiness and Mission", the parish was inaugurated on January 30th, 2011 with two worship sites: St. Joachim Church in Meshoppen and St. Mary of the Assumption Church in Wyalusing.

History of St. Mary of the Assumption Church

The actual founding of St. Mary's Parish began in 1950 when Fr. McCabe was appointed administrator of St. Anthony of Padua Church in Stowell with a mission at St. Francis Church in Cummiskey. He was commissioned by Bishop Hafey to form a mission parish in Wyalusing with the name of the new parish being St. Mary of the Assumption, in honor of the dogma newly proclaimed by Pope Pius XI1 in Rome. Prior to 1950 Catholic families were served by a priest coming to Wyalusing where Mass was celebrated in private homes. read more...



History of St. Joachim Church

St. Joachim was the first Catholic Church in Meshoppen. Father P.J. Murphy was the first pastor. The church was begun in 1874 and completed in 1875. Bishop O'Hara officiated at the laying of the cornerstone. The land on which the church stands was purchased from Daniel Sterling and his wife. This same structure stands today providing the people of the Meshoppen area the consolations of the faith. St. Joachim's Cemetery adjacent to the Overfield Cemetery, about two miles above Meshoppen was purchased from Allen Jayne and his wife, July 20,1893. read more...


Saint of the Day

Bible
-New American Bible
-Daily Readings
 
Faith Formation
-Religious Ed.
-Confirmation
 
Pastoral Care
 
Ministries
 
Parish Membership
 
Stewardship
 
Photo Album
 
 


image of Pope Francis used under Creative Commons
Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license
Attribution: presidencia.gov.ar


Copyright ©2012-2017 olphpa.org All rights reserved