Our Lady Of Perpetual Help Parish
An Evangelizing Community in the Roman Catholic Rite

Home From The Pastor's Desk St. Mary's Church St. Joachim's Church

Who We Are
 
Parish Staff
 
Schedule
-Mass
-Confession
 
Parish Services
-Becoming Catholic
-Baptisms
-Weddings
 
Parish Life
-Weekly Bulletin
 
Contact Us
 




A Parish Of The Diocese Of Scranton



History of St. Joachim Church

St. Joachim was the first Catholic Church in Meshoppen. Father P.J. Murphy was the first pastor. The church was begun in 1874 and completed in 1875. Bishop O'Hara officiated at the laying of the cornerstone. The land on which the church stands was purchased from Daniel Sterling and his wife. This same structure stands today providing the people of the Meshoppen area the consolations of the faith. St. Joachim's Cemetery adjacent to the Overfield Cemetery, about two miles above Meshoppen was purchased from Allen Jayne and his wife, July 20,1893.

In 1930, Father Joseph Reilly, pastor at that time, was instructed by the Right Reverend Bishop to find a suitable home which would become the parish rectory. The purchase of the Loomis property was acquired at a price of $6,000.00. With this purchase a large building at the rear of the rectory also became parish property. This building was transformed into the famous Casino, or parish hall.

The descendants of the early settlers have gladly welcomed the Polish, Lithuanian, Slavic, Irish, Spanish and Italian families who have moved into the area, thus making St. Joachim's Parish a truly representative example of a religious democracy.

*Post Script:
Under the Diocesan Re-Configurations and Implementaition Program "Called To Holiness and Mission,"St. Joachim Parish held its Transitional Mass on Sunday, January 23, 2011 And along with St. Mary of the Assumption Parish in Wyalusing was consolidated into Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish at a "New Beginnings Mass" celebrated on Sunday January 30th, 2011. St. Joachim's Church remains an active and vibrant community with Sunday Mass celebrated at 9.am The church is located on Sterling St.



Saint of the Day

Bible
-New American Bible
-Daily Readings
 
Faith Formation
-Religious Ed.
-Confirmation
 
Pastoral Care
 
Ministries
 
Parish Membership
 
Stewardship
 
Photo Album
 
 


Copyright ©2012-2017 olphpa.org All rights reserved